Mmmm I love the smell of freshly baked granola. My mom makes Alton Brown’s granola and it is the bomb. At my house, there is always a container of homemade pecan and coconut granola in the pantry so my brother and I can top our yogurt with it or have it as cereal for breakfast. I don’t remember the last time I didn’t see the Tupperware container full of granola…
My friends and I are doing Secret Santa this week and Tuesday’s gift was suppose to be something homemade. My secret person likes granola, so I thought it was the perfect thing to make! Although I didn’t know my moms granola recipe, I found one in Self Magazine that looked delicious! The recipe was super easy to follow and according to the magazine it’s a low-calorie, low fat granola recipe. It contains “the skinny” 130 calories per ¼ cup of granola.
When the granola came out of the oven, I was so temped to try it so I let myself go. It was SO DELICIOUS! The sweet and salty flavor is at a perfect balance and the fruit and nuts add an extra crunch and texture to the oats. I am totally making this recipe again, but I am not a fan of dried fruit in granola, so I might omit that ingredient and replace it with coconut or a different type of nut. The recipe from the magazine didn’t have almonds as an ingredient, but I thought it was a good idea to add a little more protein to my mix. Plus, who doesn’t love roasted almonds in their granola?
The next morning I had a bowl of plain yogurt topped with the delicious spiced granola I made! It was amazing!
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 2 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
• 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (I used 1/4 pumpkin and 1/4 sunflower)
• 1/3 cup dried cranberries
• Handful of raw almonds
• Preheat oven to 300˚F
• Combine all ingredients except oats and seeds.
• Fold in oats and seeds to the liquid mix. Add almonds
• Spread the mix onto a greased or lined baking sheet. Make sure it is laid out evenly.
• Bake for 35 minutes. Stir every 5-10 minutes to prevent the granola from burning
• Remove from oven after the granola is golden brown in color. Add dried cranberries and let cool.
• Store in an air tight container for later or eat now (:
This recipe makes 16 servings
Check out the SnapGuide for the Granola I made!