Yay for #throwbackthursday! I’m throwing it back to a delicious quinoa salad that I had while staying at my friend Erin’s house when I was living in Japan. Erin’s mom, Jill, always made a delicious quinoa salad using peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and a tangy lime dressing. Sometimes she added avocado and other vegetables too!
Quinoa is the perfect gluten-free supplement. It can be used to to make pasta dishes (like mac and cheese), salads, and it can even act as rice! I love having quinoa salad because the combination of the fresh vegetables, tangy dressing and quinoa create a delicious and nutritious lunch or dinner!
Tonight we are having company over for dinner and this salad is the perfect healthy and hearty side dish to the grilled chicken and roasted vegetables we are planning on having.
First things first, cook the quinoa. I followed the cooking instructions on my package of quinoa: Boil 2 cups of water. Add one cup of quinoa, cover and cook over medium heat for 12 minutes. When the time is up let it sit for 15 minutes.
Ingredients for the salad:
~ You can really use any ingredients you want, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado. Seriously anything.
Here’s what I used:
• 1/4 large cucumber, diced
• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
• 2 slices of red onion, diced
• 1/2 cup sweet corn
• 4 small bell peppers, diced
• 1/2 lime, juiced
Put it together:
– Once the quinoa is cooked, transfer it from the pot to a large bowl. Add the cut up vegetables except for the onion. Mix together.
– In a small bowl add the onion and lime juice so the onion can absorb some flavor.
– After about 10 minutes, add the onion to the salad and mix together.
– Add desired amount of salt and pepper. Place in fridge until you are ready to eat.
– You can also add olive oil and spices like cumin or cayenne pepper if you want to spice it up.
– If you are making the salad ahead of time and using avocado, I recommend not adding the avocado until right before you are serving it because the avocado will turn brown.