A few weeks ago I went out to lunch with my mom and had a delicious salad topped with Granny Smith apples, feta cheese and candied pecans. It was amazing.
My challenge today was to make a salad with pecans so I thought I could spice it up a little bit. You know, instead of just throwing pecans on a plain jane salad?
Candied pecans are super easy to make and they are very addictive ( Don’t say I didn’t warn you). These sweet little guys are great by themselves, on salads and maybe on top of ice cream. Who knows.
But as of right now, we are going to put them on a salad. Don’t worry, I’m not going to tell anyone if you snack on a few while we make the salad ;)
For the candied pecans you will need: (FYI you won’t be putting all these pecans on a salad, just a few)
– 1 cup pecan halves , roasted (about a half a pound)
– 1 egg white
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– dash of vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 250.
2) Put ingredients into a zip lock bag and shake around until the pecans are coated.
3) Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for an hour. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes to prevent the pecans from burning.
For the salad:
– 1.5 cups spinach
– 1/2 Granny Smith apple, sliced
– 2 tbsp feta cheese
– olive oil and vinegar dressing (as much as you like)
– candied pecans ( as much as you like)