Kebabs are one of the easiest dinners to prepare on a busy night (aka weeknights). There is not much preparation involved except for making a marinade. Depending on how much time you have you can make a marinade the night before, or like what I did–just a few hours before dinner.
This marinade combines smoked paprika, cinnamon and cumin. These spices really expand the flavor of the chicken along with the yogurt base of the marinade. I for one am a fan of using yogurt as a marinade because it prevents the chicken from drying out. Plus it adds great flavor!
Ingredients for Chicken & Vegetable Marinade:
1/2 cup Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 baby portebello mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 tbsp olive oil (for vegetables)
1 tsp vinegar (for vegetables
Wooden or metal skewers for kebabs (if you are using wooden, soak them in water before you use them to prevent them from burning on the grill)
1) Slice the chicken into cubes and cut the pepper and mushroom into chunks for the skewer.
2) Combine the wet ingredients and spices into a bowl and transfer along with cut chicken into a gallon sized plastic bag and make sure the chicken is coated in the marinade. Place in fridge and let the chicken marinate for 2-3 hours.
3) Place each skewer on a tray lined with foil for easy transportation to and from the grill.
5) Heat up the grill and brush with olive oil to prevent the skewers from sticking. Once the grill is hot enough, place the chicken skewers on it and cook for about 6-8 minutes. Once the time has passed, flip over and add the vegetable skewers to the grill. Let the chicken cook for a few minutes on this side and occasionally flip the vegetables.
6) Serve up with your favorite sides. We had buttered noodles, but a rice pilaf would be great too!