If someone asked me ‘what is one of your favorite home cooked meals?’ I would have to say Bacon & Green Chile Quiche for sure! My mom grew up in New Mexico so she really likes to incorporate the somewhat spicy green chiles into some of our meals like this quiche and my brothers favorite, green chile mac and cheese. (:
For the pie crust, I used the superfine almond flour that I talked about in one of my last posts. It worked perfectly and was even flaky like the usual crust we use! I liked this Paleo crust much more than the Pillsbury one because the flavor is mild and doesn’t counter the explosion of flavors in the quiche.
For the Crust:
- 2 cups Almond Flour (superfine works the best)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Combine the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Melt the coconut oil and in another bowl beat the egg.
- Add the coconut oil and egg to the flour mixture and mix together until a dough forms.
- Roll into a ball and wrap in saran wrap until and place in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
One thing that is great about this pie crust is that it has a mild flavor, so you can use this crust recipe for savory or sweet pies! If you are worried if the coconut oil has a strong flavor, it doesn’t! I can’t even taste it (which is good because I do not like the coconut flavor at all!)
For the Quiche Filling:
- 1/2lb (8 strips) bacon, chopped, fully cooked
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1-4oz can of Diced Green Chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese blend
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Roll out the pie crust, between two sheets of wax paper, into a circle big enough to fit into the pie pan. Bake the pie crust for 5-8 or until slightly golden.
( My crust was a little tricky to work with as you can see)
3. Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
4. Spread out the green chiles, fully-cooked bacon and green onions in the cooked pie crust. Top with the shredded cheese and then add the egg mixture.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Let the quiche stand for 5 minutes before dishing and eating.