My mom and I have decided to try BuzzFeed’s Two-Week Clean Eating Challenge before we head to Japan in (conveniently) two weeks. This is a gluten-free and low carb challenge focusing on fresh produce and lean protein. There are three meals a day with two snacks (one after lunch and one after dinner) and all the nutritional information is given as well.
I really love how organized the challenge is. There is a calendar listing every meal, a grocery list for each week, and even a utensil list! My mom and I weren’t able to start the challenge on the official day (Sunday), but we’re starting today at the beginning; Day 1!
Day 1 begins with a refreshing green smoothie filled with peanut butter, kale, bananas and almond milk. The smoothie was delicious and pretty filling. I couldn’t even taste the kale which was nice because it typically has a bitter taste in smoothies.
So here’s the lunch from day one: An Asparagus Salad with Beef Steak Tomatoes and Fried Eggs.
* I’ve changed the method and ingredients slightly based on the preparation and flavors.
You’ll need: This makes enough for two salads**
- 4 cups of Baby Spinach & Arugula Salad mix
- 1 Beef Steak Tomato
- 16 stalks of asparagus
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- Cut the ends off of the asparagus spears, then cut the spears into quarters. Chop the tomato into cubes about 1/4 inch thick. Also cut the garlic into small slices along with the onion.
- In a pan over medium heat add the olive oil, garlic and onions. Cook for 1 minute then add the asparagus quarters. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes constantly stirring the vegetables around.
- When the vegetables are done, add the salad mix, cooked veggies, tomato cubes, and feta cheese. Top with the juice from half a lemon and toss together.
- In the same pan, fry the eggs (1-2 per person. When the eggs are cooked to your liking, place the egg on top of the salad and dig in.
The flavors of this dish blend so well together. The egg helps to bring each individual flavor out and takes the dish to a whole new level. I hope you all try this dish! I promise the egg tastes great!
I’m going to be blogging a few recipes here and there from the challenge.I hope you all try these recipes out and even try the challenge! I don’t think it will be super difficult to stick with because I am already gluten-free. We’re also going to try to get my brother and dad involved with the challenge too. However, since they are at school and work for most of the day, they are just going to be eating the dinner meal each day.