Our dinner last night for Buzzfeed’s Clean Eating Challenge was absolutely delicious! Wraps are one of my favorite lunch or dinner entrees because they are so versatile and can be loaded with fresh veggies and roasted chicken and a zesty dressing (my favorite combination). Check out the original recipe for these wraps at Buzzfeed! I changed the recipe and increased the amount of each ingredient to feed my whole family instead of just myself.
Here’s what you’ll need: (makes enough for 4+ people)
- 1 whole chicken, raw (*option: you can also buy a rotisserie chicken if you do not want to cook the chicken at home)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- kosher salt & pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Trader Joe’s South African Smoke Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Jane’s Krazy Mixed Up Pepper
- 1 whole mango (regular sized), cut into bite sized cubes *its best of the mango isn’t super ripe because it won’t hold up in the salsa
- 1 avocado, cut into bite sized cubes
- 8 leaves of basil, thinly sliced
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 head of Napa cabbage (large leaves work best)
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1 splash of orange juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp blood orange olive oil ( if you do not have, use an extra tablespoon of regular olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp honey
1) If you are cooking the chicken, preheat oven to 400F, rinse off the chicken and pat dry. If not, skip to step 4.
2) Cut the chicken down the back so the breasts are still in tact, and then butterfly it open.
3) Line a baking tray with foil and rub the olive oil all over the chicken. Then rub in the seasonings and garlic and bake skin side up in the oven for 60 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 150F before you take it out. The internal temperature of the chicken needs to be at 165F but my mom likes to take it out early because it will still cook out of the oven and it prevents the chicken from being over cooked.
4) In a medium sized bowl add the chopped vegetables and fruit (avocado, mango, tomatoes). You want the bite sized pieces to be all the same size so its easier to eat. :).
5) Add the basil, lemon & lime juice, olive oils, salt and honey and mix together gently.
6) When the chicken is done, remove from oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before you cut it into pieces.
7) Assemble the chicken wraps on the cabbage leaves. I started with the chicken and topped it off with the mango salsa. The cabbage leaves are very sturdy and wont break when you try to eat them which is great!