The perfect way to indulge in an “All American” favorite without all the gluten, carbs or guilt! (:
Now I know what you are thinking.
“Hannah, pizza is for Sunday night, not Tuesday afternoon for pete’s sake!”
But, this isn’t your typical pizza, no, its a healthy, low-carb pizza! Can you believe that? Since when is pizza healthy am I right?
You can make a pizza on practically anything. Bagels, tortillas, vegetable pizza crusts (like cauliflower, spinach, zucchini) and yes, even mushrooms!
Portobello mushrooms are delicious meaty flavored mushrooms that are a staple in vegetarian cuisine. They provide the texture and flavor of meat for some dishes, but also provide a sturdy surface for a pizza base.
Pizzas are one of the easiest foods to customize. I used to like mine with hotdogs, but now I like to top my pizza with various vegetables. For my mushroom pizza, I used spinach, pesto, pizza sauce, beefsteak tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- favorite pizza toppings
1) Preheat oven to 375 F and remove the insides of the mushrooms using a spoon.
2) Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake on parchment paper for 10 minutes.
3) Remove from oven and turn temperature to 425F. Top mushroom caps with pizza sauce, and favorite toppings.
4) Bake in the oven for another 5 minutes.
For those of who are wondering why small hearts have been appearing on some of my posts, its because I’ve started doing something new. For every recipe I post that is healthy or low-carb or just all around nutritious I am going to put a heart in the corner.