Only recently have I started to like cottage cheese. It freaked me out as a kid because of its unappetizing look. But, on my recent visit to Tokyo I ate a lot of it for breakfast because it was filling, protein packed and naturally gluten-free. I usually topped it with pineapple and mandarine oranges–it was delish!
I asked my dad to buy some cottage cheese when he went to the store before we got back to Houston because I wanted to make some new dishes with it. This morning, after waking up at 3:30am from jet lag, I had a hankering for pancakes. Not just any pancakes though, healthy ones full of protein and nutrients to keep me full longer. I thought that adding cottage cheese to my pancakes would add a great texture, flavor and that extra protein boost that I was looking for.
I came across this Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancake recipe from whole foods and decided to test it out! Whole foods is one of my favorite grocery stores because it offers so many healthy and organic food options unlike many grocery stores in America. This pancake recipe is super simple and doesn’t require any strange ingredients or measurements.
Makes 2 servings:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp Nectreese or any sugar substitute
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (2%)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (2%)
- splash of canola oil
2) In another small bowl combine the wet ingredients and whisk together.
5) Dish up and top with your favorite pancake toppings. I topped mine with a little cinnamon sugar, butter and maple syrup. They were fabulous!
The cottage cheese provides a very unique flavor and texture to these pancakes. The heat from the pan helps to melt the little cheese curds and makes the pancakes creamier. I will definitely be making these pancakes again, maybe next time with chocolate chips or blueberries!
Nutrition per 3 pancakes:
• 249 calories• 9.5g fat • 16.4g protein• 4.7g sugar • 26.1g carbohydrates