Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! Including mine!
I was up early this morning–thanks to jet lag–and thought that I should prepare something for Father’s Day Breakfast. Originally I was going to make a sour cream coffee cake, but, because we had multiple boxes of blueberries in our fridge, I thought it was a wise idea to incorporate them into whatever I decided to make: Blueberry Streusel Muffins.
If I had to choose a favorite type of muffin I think blueberry streusel muffins would be first, with lemon poppyseed muffins coming in second. A streusel topping takes any plain ol’ muffin to the next level because it adds another dimension to the muffin’s texture.
I took my favorite blueberry muffin recipe and turned it gluten free for this recipe! I don’t think my brother or my dad even realized they were gluten-free! Sometimes gluten-free baked goods can turn out super dense, but I found these muffins to be on the lighter, more airy side. Also, the lemon zest helps to highlight the muffins flavor.
Ingredients: (makes 10)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, diced
- 1 tbsp flour
1) Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2) In a stand mixer combine the butter and sugar. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
3) Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
4) In a separate small bowl combine the flour and baking powder and set aside. In another small bowl combine the fresh blueberries and the additional tablespoon of flour. The flour coating prevents the blueberries from going mushy and turning the muffin batter purple.
5) Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients alternating with the milk. Once the wet and the dry ingredients are combined, gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
6) In a small dish combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar and diced butter. Cut with knives until “crumbs” form.
6) Scoop muffin mix into each lined muffin tin and top with some of the streusel mix. Bake for 24 minutes.
Nutritional Information (per muffin)
• 140 calories • 6.7 g fat • 19.4g carbohydrates • 10.3g sugar • 2.1g protein