Ladies & Gents, I give you part 2 of my breakfast with Carolyn; Spinach & Mushroom Mini Quiches.
Quiches are one of my favorite meals. I love eating my mom’s famous green chile and bacon quiches as well as any quiche loaded with vegetables. Recently at work I tried a tomato, basil and mozzarella quiche and it was to die for! I really hope they make it again soon!
One of the best things about making quiches is how easy the recipe is. You really only need one ingredient; eggs. The add-ins are 100% up to you. Salmon, along with leeks, spinach, tomatoes, cheeses are some of the more popular quiche add-ins. I like putting some type of meat into the quiche, whether it bacon, sausage or fish it doesn’t really matter.
For the mini quiches, Carolyn and I wanted to use the fresh mushrooms and spinach she received in the Farm Box. We were also going to add cherry tomatoes but we forgot about them. (oh well, we’ll save those for next time!)
Ingredients: makes about 10-12 quiches
- 4 eggs + 4 egg whites*
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 cups baby spinach
- 10 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
* You can also just do 8 eggs if you don’t want to have extra yolk leftover.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line or grease a muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites, milk and mozzarella cheese together. Add salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan add a little olive oil and sauté the chopped mushrooms. Once they are almost done cooking add the spinach and cook until the spinach is fully cooked.
- Pour some of the egg mixture into each of the muffin tins, top with mushroom and spinach mix.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes (ours took about 23).